Friday, April 4, 2008

So long, farewell...

Dear old Iraq rug! We finally sold the HUGE 12' x 10' rug that Joe dragged home from his last deployment. For those of you who don't know the story....Joe found this monstrous rug hanging from the side of a house in Mosul and decided that he HAD to have it! So, he went in to the house and asked the guy for it. He gave him $100 which the guy was extremely appreciative for, and Joe loaded it up into his BFIST. He then called me (on my way to a coffee) and asked if I would ever consider a rug from Iraq to which I said I had never in my life thought about. Then, he proceeded to tell me that he bought this HUGE rug. Uh-huh. He sent me pictures the next day in which he had to drape the rug over his c-hut (living container). It completely enveloped it. Way to go Joe. So, when he got back from Iraq, we went and picked the rug up. It did not see the light of day until three weeks ago when, on a whim, I decided to take it out. 6 trips to the trash can and 5 run throughs with the steam cleaner, the rug was actually presentable! Of course, it didn't fit in the house or in our decorating scheme. So, I put it on Craigslist for the world to barter with me. After a little bit of a headache from a different person, we finally gave the rug a new home with a SUPER sweet retired couple that just bought a 5300 sq. ft. house. And, the rug gave us $340 :) Now I feel better about the Canon Digital Rebel XT that I bought! So, goodbye rug-we will not miss you!

4 comments:

Megan said...

Hey, that's great news! Congratulations! They have an awesome story to tell about how they got it, too.

The Mrs. said...

man you got a rug! all i got was a chunk of an iraqi tank. geez i gotta talk to the hubs about this. : ) glad it worked out for yall.

jlc said...

Yeahhh profit!

You certainly have a way with story telling because every time I read one of your blogs I find myself smiling at the screen.

d.a.r. said...

Coooool story! But, I'm glad you got rid of the rug :)