We have been so blessed to have Joe home for as long as we have, and we will be sending him off for his second tour to Iraq very soon. But, the 4th was all about celebrating the freedom that we have and honoring those who have given of themselves for us to have it. I was talking with Joe about how different the meaning of the 4th is since we have been in the military lifestyle as compared to when we were in the civilian life. I would do my duty and cover my heart whenever the National Anthem played, but I never knew the true meaning of the words until the 4th of July in 2005 when Joe was deployed. I remember watching the fireworks at Fort Carson and shedding tears as I heard the Anthem. This year was no exception, but I now had an even deeper meaning of the words as we have had to say goodbye to a few great soldiers who gave of themselves. I turned and said thank you to Joe, with tears in my eyes, for all that he does for us and our country. I know that it sounds very cheesy, but those who are reading this who are Army wives understand what I am saying. It saddens me that those who never experience the military lifestyle will ever know what it means.
After an amazing meal of crab legs, sirloin steak, and garlic/cheddar biscuits (that I cooked for a grand total of $15), we headed on post for the Freedom Fest at Hood Stadium. Joe had gotten the CSM's VIP parking pass, but I refused to let us use it in case we ran into a certain someone. So, we decided to chance it and drive to the hospital where we found an incredible parking spot! Normally, you have to take the bus that comes every 20 minutes and then takes an additional 20 minutes to get the stadium, but we just had to walk 1/2 mile. And, the weather was perfect! It was a little warm but quickly cooled down to a nice breeze. I always get so excited going to military events for some reason. It is like an elite club where everyone knows what you are going through. Where can you find an evironment where everyone else knows your feelings and emotions at almost every minute of the day? I can't explain it other than it feels like home. They had a carnival, craft tents, different vehicles on display, and everyone was in a sea of red, white and blue. Oh, and ACU's too, haha. After we found an awesome spot, and layed out our Americana blanket (I knew I bought it for some reason!), Porter played around on the track for a little bit before the parachute jumpers came in. Then, they did an Army flyover to which Joe said "That was the most boring flyover I have ever seen." Hey, we are Army not Airforce where all they do is fly over for shows-we fight! (Just kidding! Well, a little) After that, they had the National Anthem and then the posting of the state colors. That is where one soldier carries each state flag in a march and then they stand at guard with them. Then, they had some speech (we couldn't hear it) and then they did a casing of the colors (they marched off the field). Oh, and I forgot to mention that they did the firing of the canon for each state (that is the type of thing that Joe would organize). Porter didn't even flinch! He did so well throughout the whole ceremony and even did his little dancing whenever the band played. We decided to get a better seat and then I headed to wait in the 20 minute line for the bathroom. Yikes! When I got back, Joe, Porter, and I just hung out and had a great time bonding as a family. P-nut is absolutely the greatest kid in the world. All of the other kids were screaming and there he was just climbing into his stroller and drinking his juice.
Then.......came the fireworks! Joe and I were incredibly skeptical about what Porter would do, but he just layed on us and went "Wow...Oh..." after all of the fireworks! It was amazing! Not a single cry at how loud they were (we were almost completely under them) but instead a little tiny "Wow" came out. He was in love. Too bad I can't recreate that moment every night or I would. Oh wait, I did get them on video but it wouldn't be the same.
I feel incredibly blessed to have this family. They make me whole.

2 comments:
I'm so glad that your 4th was nice and that Porter did so well with the fireworks. I remember 4th of July when Pat was deployed last time, I went on post for the celebration and was overcome by all the feelings you expressed. Your pictures are great. I absolutely love the one of you and Porter against the brick wall. You look gorgeous.
sounds like a great fourth of july!! its so cute to see how much porter is looking like you as he grows! enjoy this summer with your family!!
Post a Comment