Monday, May 11, 2009

So many eyes watching me....

I had my first day teaching/observing on Saturday! For those of you who don't know, I got a job with SDCC (who has a contract with Army Emergency Relief) teaching the AIT soldiers on Saturdays. I didn't really know what to think, but I went into the day with open eyes and ears. I got there at 7:30 and had to ask two different people how to get to the room. I had to walk down this long hallway, and there were a TON of soldiers milling around. Who the heck wants to be there on Saturday and especially at 7:30 in the morning? Haha. Anyways, I found the room and met up with one of the other instructors who was struggling with the A/V equipment. After a half an hour, he finally got it working. Yikes! (I am so nervous that I will have no clue what to do and will have to call in Joe to help me!)

Then, right at 8:00 am, over 60 soldiers marched in. These guys had on the standard issue eyeglasses, were young, old, and some very miserable. I don't think that they realized that the class was 8 hours long...

The instructor started in on the different topics which range from .25 to 2.0 hours long each! If you add up all of the hours, it isn't enough time for the whole day! By 10:00, there were soldiers falling asleep and were being whacked on the back of the head by their NCO's. Finally, at 11:30, they were let go for lunch. I met up with Joe and Porter at the PX at 12:00. Oh, and Porter brought me flowers that they had picked at the Wildlife Refuge! Of course, he wouldn't let me hold on to them, but it was a great gesture!

At 1:00, we started the class back up again and talked about car buying, insurance, etc. Finally, at 4:00, it was my turn to get up and teach about finances and deployment! I was literally shaking (part in due to the super cold A/C but mostly out of nerves). But, I think that I did a good job. I had them laughing on a few things and hopefully had them really think about how important it is to update their 201 file and their SGLI beneficiary form. I brought in a lot of experiences of when Joe was the Rear D Commander.

All in all, it was a good day! Very long, and I still don't think that I have recovered from it, haha. I have just been very tired despite a great two hour nap yesterday!

On the 30th, which also happens to be Joe and I's 5 year anniversary, I get to teach the whole class on my own!! Wow, I am slightly panicking, but I am excited! I finally have something that is all my own :)

3 comments:

R.A.B. said...

WOW!!!! Congrats! I'm sure you'll do fine. Hope you took good notes from this weekend. :) Happy Anniversary...tell Joe he needs to call me for ring advice. :) HA HA.

Erin said...

Congrats on surviving your first day! I am sure you were great!

Megan said...

Robyn, I'm sure you were the bright spot in a very long day for those soldiers. And now you know you can do it!