Someone please reassure me that I am not raising a sociopath. Porter has been on this kick of climbing on the table ALL THE TIME, not listening to me at all, and he is starting to throw hard objects at people. I got a measuring cup thrown at the bridge of my nose during bathtime tonight. And, when I get mad and tell him "no, Porter! We do not hit or throw!" he just laughs at me. Surely this is a sign, isn't it? Gosh, I just feel like a terrible mother today. We went to the backyard tonight so that I could caulk the outside of the new addition as well as the rest of the windows (since apparently the idiot builders in Texas never sealed the windows...who doesn't do that??). Well, Porter ruined his new pants by getting covered in the caulk and then kept stealing the dish of water that I needed. When I would do my scolding (of which I get down to his level and make him look me in my eyes) he just kept laughing at me. Man I haven't been so frustrated in a long time. Then, at bathtime, we were waiting for the little tub to fill up and he took the showerhead (it is one of those detachable ones) and proceeded to spray the whole bathroom. Again, he laughed when I scolded him.
And, when I went to get him into pajamas, I noticed like 10 mosquito bites on his legs. I am a terrible mother. I know, Joe, I know that I should have been paying more attention (he HATES bugs of all kinds). Then, Porter kept giving me hugs right before he went down to bed. What a wave of emotions tonight. Anger, pain, frustration, guilt, and sadness. I know, this is motherhood in a nutshell but why oh why did it have to hit all on one day?
I feel like a terrible mom...
Monday, October 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
You are totally not a bad mom, Robyn! No worries, the good always outweighs the bad. The hard part is not laughing back at him when he laughs at the scolding. He is testing you. Maybe you should start time outs?
Aw!!!! It sounds like he is so darn advanced, he is getting the Terrible Twos early!
I don't think it is a reflection on your parenting (he is doing normal little boy stuff, not killing cats or something), just him testing you and learning his limits. It sounds like you are going about things the right way--getting at his level, etc. Just stay firm. Maybe try timeouts? My mom always swore by the "one warning, then a timeout" rule.
You are definitely NOT a bad mom. Like DAR said, he's just testing his limits. Also, kids behave badly/differently when there are changes in their lives. This may just be his way of reacting to Joe being gone.
I don't think you are a terrible mom, I think it is called the terrile twos and he is headed straight for it! I agree with the others that he also may be reacting to having Joe gone. Porter at his worst is probably better behaved than many, many children!
Hey Sweetie, it's only just begun. Dad and I just watched the video. You are doing a great job. Just wait, he will probably be President some day, and be smarter than you and Joe together. Consistency works. Hey, at least he hasn't been run over by a tractor. (inside joke) Just use your instincts. You go, Super Mom.
Love you Robyn
Robyn, sister in law to sister in law and of course being a mother of two myself, it is truly the what everyone else has already said. You are no where near a bad Mom. Your emotions are getting the best of you right now. Along with him reacting to Joe being gone, he is also reacting to your emotions and wether you can tell or not, when you feel frustrated about anything, that sends them in a whirlwind and they just push and push more in reaction to your emotions. There will be days when he will be ultra loving to you because he knows that you are down and then there are days when he will try your patience because he knows you are frustrated. Never, ever can any one person remain un-emotional. Be firm, be consistent, and I agree, time out is a wonderful thing. I just wish my husband did. I promise I would have done things a little differently with my own but regardless of what anyone says, their butt as a target once in a while is what a lot of todays kids need. The younger kids with their lack of respect for any adult walking around is the end result.
Keep up the good work. Porter has an absolutely wonderful Mom!!!
Post a Comment