Thursday, February 12, 2009

What charity should we donate to?

I returned the Quicken software over 5 months ago, and I finally got the refund check. Well, in the meantime, I had gotten another refund check that was a mail in rebate. Well, I feel wrong for taking $50 of the money so I want to send it to a charity of some sort. So, my question to you all is who should I send it to? And, please do not say yourself :) What are you passionate about? Who do you feel needs it most? Oh, and don't say that crazy mom to the 14 kids, lol.

6 comments:

Shelly said...

I always give my charity money to Humane Societies, ASPCA, and such, but you know how I have a soft spot for animals! :)

Megan said...

I really think you have to find something that you and your family are passionate about. There are so many out there! I do reconmend looking the charities up on Charity Navigator, you don't want your donation going to overinflated overhead costs!

kd said...

I agree with MG! Find the charities that touch you!

Megan said...

What about Kiva.org? They provide microloans to people in developing nations so they can start small business and improve the lives and futures of their families.

You could split the $50 up among several people, or give it all to one person. And you get to pick who you want to give it to.

Or you could go with Heifer International (http://www.heifer.org/), where $50 will buy rabbits and chickens for an impoverished family in the developing world. The rabbits reproduce fast, and they can eat and sell them, and the chickens lay eggs they can eat and sell.

Finally, there's a great program called "Canines for Combat Veterans" that trains service dogs for injured veterans. You could Google them and see if that's something you'd want to donate to. I think that service is important.

MTM said...

I like to donate to St. Jude's Hospital. I agree with MG and KD, though, donate to an organization that does something you are passionate about.

Herding Chaos said...

I agree with MG and KD, if you decide which one you like after getting a group together, you could put the names on paper, put them in a bowl and draw a name.