Sunday, December 21, 2008

I love my husband

This is from Joe's blog (I had to set it to private for certain reasons):

Hi all and Merry Christmas!

I know it's still a few days away, but as it rapidly approaches I just wanted to take the time to reflect a little bit on the joy of the season. I know you might be thinking, "joy of the season...but you're in Iraq!" However, my ability to keep a jolly spirit doesn't change just cause I'm not with my loved ones this holiday. As a matter of fact, I find it easier to appreciate Christmas and the wonderful things we're normally able to do and share with one another more than I normally would. It's amazing to me, that in a Muslim majority country like this, our DFAC is covered with our American normal Christmas icons. They have pictures of St. Nick and a 15' Christmas tree right in the middle of the DFAC complete with wrapped presents underneath it. Along the front of my battle captain desk there are battery powered lights that someone got in the mail, and better yet, I opened yet another of 25 presents that Robyn individually wrapped, numbered by day, and sent to me in the mail for Christmas. This morning's present was especially wonderful and brought a smile to my face. I had been waiting to see which DVD it was, because due to the shape of the wrapped object, I pretty much knew it was a DVD. Would you believe my surprise and appreciation when I unwrapped a SpongeBob Squarepants DVD!? :) Truly awesome and a stroke of genius by Robyn. I probably would have appreciated getting a newer release DVD of some violent movie or something, but because it reminded me of being at home watching Spongebob with Porter and Robyn on the couch, that DVD was the most special and perfect DVD she possibly could have gotten me. Might sound wierd, I guess, but that's us. Anyways, my day has been great and I'm thankful to have such a thoughtful wife and a wonderful little guy at home. I stayed up last night for a little while just thinking about how cool it will be to have Porter run up to me in January yelling, "Daddy!"

4 comments:

d.a.r. said...

Okay I am crying now! This post should come with a disclaimer!!!!

You have an awesome husband Robyn, and a wonderful family. I hope he is home soon!

Erin said...

Oh that is such a wonderful post. It had me in tears, especially the last part about seeing Porter again :)

Devon said...

You are totally crappy Robyn! Why didn't you warn me?? I am sitting here crying! Oh my gosh! I do not need tears! They won't stop!

jlc said...

Awww I LOVE Joe!!!

And the last line def brought tears to my eyes. Ugh, the reunion needs to be taped.