Monday, December 15, 2008

Just call me Handy Mommy

Due to flooding last summer, our house shifted and created these AWFUL tape twists in the corners of the computer room. I mean, the whole corner of each wall basically came apart. The inspector said that it was just cosmetic damage and that nothing was damaged with the structure. However, I was NOT going to sell the house with it looking like that. So, after months and months of staring at it and stressing about it, I decided to fix it myself. I took the exacto knife (spelling?) to either side of the damaged wall and cut away the damaged sections. Then, I taped it up, caulked it with paintable Silicone caulk (ok key here people: USE SILICONE CAULK FOR EVERYTHING! I know that it is more expensive but come on...it will save you a ton of money in the long rup), and I repainted it. This picture was taken this morning after everything was all dry. Does it look like ANYTHING happened to those walls? No way. I saved us $2994 which the inspector said that it would cost to fix it (was $3000 but the caulk was $6). At least I can get a job as a part-time caulker if all else fails with the economy!!

3 comments:

Katie said...

Look at you being all handy!! I'll be coming to you for advice on all this stuff some day when E and I have a home and I have no idea what to do!! haha.

It looks great by the way! I couldn't notice anything!

jlc said...

You are freaken amazing woman! I am always so impressed by what you're able to do around the house and how you're able to cut corners when it comes to the budget. All in all you'd be my husband's dream wife. Hahahha.


PS Where did you get that painting on the wall? I love it!

Mr.Oszczyk's Brain Fart Catcher said...

You're the bomb, babe...couldn't ask for anyone better. This among the many other wonderful things you do is why I thank God for you every day. MUAH! I love you!